- The Sched column measures how difficult a team's tournament schedule is based on its bracket position (who it must beat in order to advance in each round).
- The Depth column is the average number of rounds a team will survive in the tournament.
- A higher ranking does not necessarily translate into greater probability of tournament success because of the seeding matchups.
- Game probabilities are based on the Massey Ratings.
- Conditional probabilities are used to take into account every
possible tournament outcome.
- Games are assumed to be independent events.
- Highlighted numbers indicate the predicted winners in each round.
- The probability that a team survives through a certain round
is listed in that round's column.
For example if the (Team A, Rnd 2) entry is 65.23, then Team A
has a 65.23 percent chance of advancing past round 2.
- The Odds column should be read as "1 in ___".
It is equal to one over the probability that the team wins the tournament.
- To get the probability that a particular matchup will occur,
multiply the probabilities that each team would play in the designated
Massey Ratings and tournament model
Copyright © Contact Mon Mar 14 17:44:59 2011